1 whole chicken (1,2-1,5kg)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 large potatoes (peeled and cut)
6 table spoons olive oil
Selection of seasonal vegetables of your choice
1 whole lemon
1lt salted water
1 bag of ice
1lt cold water
- Wash and clean chicken, then pat dry.
- Mix all the dry spices together; use half of the spice mix for the chicken. We call this a dry rub. Rub this all over the chicken. Stuff the chicken with 1 whole lemon cut in half, this gives a lovely flavour and keeps your chicken succulent and moist. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Using the other half of the spice mix, pat dry the peeled and washed potatoes and rub the spice all over your potatoes. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and roast in a roasting or baking tray until crisp and golden brown.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and place into a roasting or baking tray and roast for 1 – 1 1/2 hours
- While waiting for the chicken you can get the salted water boiling. This is to be use for blanching the vegetables.
- Remove the ice from its packet, place in a large bowl and add 1lt of cold water. The iced water is used to ‘Shock’ the vegetables which means once the vegetables have been blanched and added to the ice water this stops the cooking process making them crunchy.
- Strain the vegetables once cooled completely down.
- Once chicken and potatoes are ready allow the chicken to rest before carving.
- Reheat your vegetables in a little olive oil salt and pepper and serve with your roast dinner.