500g diced lamb pieces with fat removed
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into eight
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, sliced lengthwise and then quartered
1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
1tsp (5ml) ground coriander
1tsp (5ml) turmeric
1tsp (5ml) paprika
¼ cup of brown lentils
1 ¼ cup of rice
5-10ml chicken stock powder (1-2t ) dissolved in 250ml boiling water
1tin tomato paste (65g)
2 Whole tomatoes diced
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Large Aubergines
2 Large red onions
1 Red pepper
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and stir-fry the meat on a high heat until browned, remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat slightly and gently fry the onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and whole cloves. Using the same saucepan and no extra fat, cook for approximately 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, lentils, and ground cumin. Ground coriander, paprika, turmeric, pinch of salt and pepper cook for approximately 2 minutes then add and stir in prepared stock . Then cook covered for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Meanwhile cook the rice in lightly salted water in another saucepan until just tender.
- Add your cooked meat, tomato paste, whole tomatoes, brown sugar, chutney and about ½ a cup (125ml) of water. Cook covered for 45 minutes or until the meat and lentils are soft. Stir occasionally and if necessary add more water to make enough gravy.
- Meanwhile slice 2 whole Aubergine in 1cm thick rings, slice 2 red onions into thick rings and cut up 1 red pepper into large chunks. Build a kebab, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste and serve with rice and Aubergine, red onion and red pepper kebab.